Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Finally!! Some good news!!

Since January 3 of this year it seems that the news regarding my breast cancer has gotten a little bit worse with every procedure.  First positive diagnosis of cancer, then finding a 2nd tumor, then discovering the aggressiveness was high, then finding spread to lymph nodes and moving from stage 2 to 3 with that discovery, then being told that I would be doing "dose dense" chemotherapy because the cancer is so aggressive...etc.  It has been worrisome and a bit depressing all along.

Yesterday I went in for full body bone scan and CAT scans.  I was bracing myself to hear that there was this little spot here...or this little spread there.  But I just received a phone call...very unemotional.  "Hello, is this Robin?"  " Yes, this is she."  "Dr. Mendelson asked me to call you and tell you that all of your scans are negative."  **Silence**  "Does that mean that there are no tumors anywhere else?"  "That's what that means."  ...

I cannot tell you how excited I was to get that news that seemed so unexciting to her.  What a relief...that the bad news has found an ending point.  I remain stage 3 (not 4)...and only just a little stage 3 (not unlike being a little pregnant).  I think, that is news worth celebrating.

On an even lighter note...  I changed my hair color to platinum...what a process, but I guess it doesn't matter if I trash my hair at this point as it will be gone soon.  Unfortunately I love it so much, I wish I had done it sooner...I am kind of sad to think it will be gone.  But it will grow back...and when it does, I think this is a keeper.

My natural gray hair...
 ...and Platinum!!!


6 comments:

jen said...

Elsa color with Rapunzel's cut! Great news!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear your good news, Robin. I've always looked up to you and thought you were an awesome person. You're doing a great job getting through this crummy thing in your life, and I think your new hairdo is so fun! Hang in there!--Amy Hintze

Catherine and clan (aka catnz) said...

Hi Robin, it was so wonderful to hear your good news. I recall being told post surgery that one of my lymph nodes was a little unusual, and that I would require a CT and bone scan - the anxiety of having those done, and then the wait for results was overwhelming. Now, you are able to get a better picture of what the next steps in treatment are, and can take back a little of the control you have lost in this whole process. Love the new colour and the cut - I wish I had done something like that, but I did try on different hair colour wigs before choosing one, so I guess that was as good as it got. I haven't dyed my hair since as I appreciate it all the more now.

Reading this blog entry took me back to last night when I visited a friend of a friend who had recently been diagnosed with BC. She is struggling, as many of us have done, with all the unknowns as she undergoes the tests, scans, etc. Your entry has reminded me that this stage of the journey doesn't last forever and we have to be patient in order to get the right treatment for the best outcome. A positive attitude goes such a long way.

Take care, and hooray for that wonderful news, Catherine

pamelafuller43@gmail.com said...

Love the look and the GREAT news!

Pat Coleman said...

Robin, you're cute no matter what your hair color or style is. Good luck with your treatments!

Pat Coleman said...

Robin, you look good no matter what your hair color or style is. Good luck with your treatments!