Monday, March 30, 2015

Today is Gray day...and also Port Day!


Well, after an amazingly beautiful...if not too short weekend in La Jolla with my wonderful husband, it is time to get back to the business of cancer.  Today is the day I set as my "Gray Day".  15 years ago I started dying my hair, and outside of the little hints I see in my roots when it has been a while, I haven't seen my natural hair color since then.  I have often fantasized about letting it all go gray or cutting it back super short...just to see what it would look like, but I was not brave enough to actually do it.  Well...today is that day... Why not...it can't be any weirder than bald...right?  So I went down to Fantastic Sams and told the girl...see her in the picture...

I want to cut my hair down to my gray line.  She kind of looked at me like...are you sure???  Then I explained...and cried...and told her to ignore any crying.  She was very kind and understood.  When I saw the hair coming off it was a bit shocking.  When it was done, I thought I looked a bit butch...or maybe even like I just left a concentration camp.  I definitely thought I looked like someone's mother.  But after playing with it a bit... I think I like it. 

This is my natural hair color.  It looks a bit grayer in person...but not as gray as I thought.

As mentioned above...  today is also "Port Day".  In about an hour, I will be going in for surgery to plant a chemo port in my chest.  I will begin 8 courses of chemotherapy...one every other week for the next 16 weeks.  This will all begin next Tuesday.  Tomorrow I will go in for CAT scans and bone scans to be sure there is no cancer anywhere else.  Then Thursday for one last meeting with my oncologist before we get started.  So that's the scoop.  I have so much I would like to share, but not enough time today.  Sometimes I link to Facebook, and sometimes, like two posts before, I just feel like blogging.  Feel free to read when you want to, but also know that I blog for a number of reasons, one being just to have an outlet for my thoughts and emotions.  I do want to thank everyone for their kind words, prayers and support, and although I may not respond back, I truly have been touched by the extreme outpouring...even from people I haven't heard from in a long time...and those who are far away that I don't even know.    Thank you for reaching out and being so kind. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look GREAT! I LOVE it!

jen said...

Um.
Well.

How utterly

FANTASTIC IS THAT!!!

Seriously! That's something you may need to keep when this whole schtuff is over.

Looks awesome!

Stop crying.

Because there's no crying in baseball.

Kerri Hamblin said...

I'm honestly not sure why you didn't do this sooner! YOU LOOK MARVELOUS! I think it makes you look thinner! P.S. I wouldn't have said that out loud, but isn't that what you've always wanted?! Hahaha

Mel Sco said...

Super cute look for you!! Enjoy!