Monday, April 27, 2015

Things I didn't know about being bald...

Well, I did it...Last night I shaved my head.  To be more accurate, Ron and Jacob shaved my head.

Sarah took pictures of the process.

None of us have ever done such a thing, so we really didn't know how it was to be done.  Jacob started with the Flowbee.


If you don't know what a Flowbee is, it is a hair cutting system where there are clippers attached to a vacuum that cuts your hair while sucking it up and into the vacuum.  It works pretty well...and once we got it figured out it was successful in giving me an all over buzz cut...but not bald...I looked a bit concentration camp-ish.

Hmmm... we hadn't counted on that, so we had to borrow some clippers from a friend to finish the job.  (Thanks Jacque!) Once we shaved it down as low as it could go, Ron used his electric shaver to make it even smoother.



  and then I took a shower and then tried to shave it even more with a razor.


  So here's what I've learned...

1. That smooth, shiny head look and feel is more difficult to get than one might think.  I think my head looks like it has a 5 o'clock shadow all over.

2. My head has a "grain".  Hair on top grows forward, while hair on sides and back grows downward.  Trying to shave it smooth is not so easy as it is pretty coarse.  Even my 5 bladed razor had a tough time.  I got it fairly smooth...but some spots just wouldn't smooth out completely.

3. I thought it would be too creepy to pullout...but if I had it to do over again, I think I would just pull as much of it out as possible first, then shave the rest. (It was coming out pretty easily)

4. I can't speak for the men, but for the ladies... when it has been a while since you shaved your legs and you finally do...  You know that smooth feel? ...  My head feels the same way.   It's kind of fabulous.

5. My head is a pretty good shape for being bald.  Sarah, who just finished an anatomy class, thought it was cool you could see the sutures (the joints where skull bones have fused from birth).

6. When I send emoticons while texting, etc... There is now a resemblance.

7. A cool hand on my face feels cool, but on my head feels much colder... That is a pretty trippy feeling if you've never experienced it.

8. For that matter...shower water streaming on my totally bald head feels pretty cool as well.

9.  The wig is the most uncomfortable thing I can imagine wanting to put on my head.  Hats are not much better for me...maybe for short periods so as not to shock people.

10. Sleeping with a bald head is awesome.  It felt great on my pillow.  Hair around my face and neck while sleeping has always been a nuisance. Not to mention the breeze on my head coming through my open window last night... way cool!

I'm sure there's more I never knew...but that's my list for now.  I'm feeling a bit better today...and my sense of humor is back.  Good morning!






4 comments:

Lisa said...

You are too cool! Love this post

Catherine and clan (aka catnz) said...

You look great and are so brave to put it out there. There is only one bald photo of me in existence and I always had a head covering when people came to our home.

I agree that wigs are uncomfortable, so for the most part wore the pirate bandana - I had many colours as they are cheap as chips, so would co-ordinate with my outfit. I was just talking to a newly diagnosed friend who couldn't remember me wearing my wig but she does remember the bandana. The bandanas are great to wear in summer as they don't get too hot, and keep the sun off that lovely bald head.

Hope chemo isn't too rough, and that your tastebuds have some time of getting back to normal before the next round.

Take care, Catherine

(Let's) GO FLY A KITE!! said...

Catherine..Thank you so much for reaching out to me and for your encouraging words. It seems my taste buds get back to normal just about the time I get another treatment. I sure wish that would decrease my appetite some. :P

(Let's) GO FLY A KITE!! said...

Thanks Lisa... I sure appreciate your kindness.