Sunday, November 11, 2007

I cleaned my pantry...




One of my favorite things is a clean pantry. It is one of the few areas of my house that when it gets cleaned, it will stay clean for a while...even a month or two. It is also a long process and an area I only get to about once a year...and I cleaned it early last summer. But I began to see little flying creatures and wormy things and knew that something (s) must have been infested and it was getting out of control. So I began. I did in fact find some Jiffy Corn Bread boxes and a bag of rice that became Chicken feed due to infestation. I also froze some boxes that were in question...only because I couldn't open them and look in.. (I hate it when I go to cook some mac 'n cheese and little "things" float to the top) So I figured if they are in there, at least they will be dead and not contributing to the increase of crawly things.

So here's another thing I did that was kind of cool. I took out all the stuff that I didn't want and that we were not going to eat (good stuff...not the bug infested stuff) and offered them on Craigslist. But instead of offering them for free, I decided to see if I could get someone to go to the store and bring me a couple of gallons of milk...not because I couldn't get milk, but because I didn't want to...and this kind of thing amuses me (Hey, I can't drink, Paige and I have given up sugar, and I can't have se...Never mind...Anyway, something has to amuse me.). So, believe it or not I had a gillion responses, and I got 4 gallons of milk brought to me in trade for my food that we were not ever going to eat and a bunch of expired food storage. Now that's cool!...if not a little weird... I think next time I will see if I can get a dozen eggs....

4 comments:

Janice said...

I am jeolous of your pantry. It looks so beautiful and organized. I also like the whole gallon of milk story. Is it Lent already?

Amy said...

I love the milk idea! I have a friend that buys me Costco milk, since my husband loves it and I hate buying milk. I'll have to offer some of my extra cereal from my pantry. I usually buy 10 boxes of cereal when I can get them for less than $1 at a time. I learned this from Paige. Anyway, I wish I had your pantry. It's wonderfully clean!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're the best pantry cleaner! We all still have fond memories of when you cleaned our pantry here. *sigh*.

And thanks for all the comments lately. I don't' care if you comment multiple times, it makes me think someone must be reading my silly random thoughts.

thekelly said...

Hahaha...okay, haha - I am a new viewer of all these adventures that "flying a kite" blog has shared. I can't stop giggling!!Haha this takes the award for the most innovative grovery service I've heard of...Watch out Basha, Fry's and Albertson's...By the way, you are invited to come over and clean my pantry too, K?